Taking Prompt Action By Hiring An Experienced Green Card Attorney

When you want to come to the United States to live, work or go to school, you first must acquire the proper permissions to come into the country legally. You want to avoid the risk of being deported and barred from reentry because you crossed the border without prior authorization.

However, you might be unsure about what permissions you need or for how long you can stay. You can get these questions and others solved for you when you retain an experienced green card attorney to help you.

Applying for the Right Card

The type of green card you get will depend on the reason you want to enter the country. If you want to come to the country to study as a college student, you will need to apply for a student visa. However, if you are a specialty worker, such as an engineer or doctor, you can apply for a specialized visa that lets you work in your chosen profession and with your specialized training.

If you want to come to the U.S. as a spouse or relative, you may need an entirely different kind of green card, one that may require sponsorship. Your green card attorney can tell you what kind of green card to apply for and what laws pertain to it once you are in the country. They can also advise you on whether or not you will need a sponsor or for how long you can stay legally.

Renewing Your Green Card

Your green card attorney can also help you renew the green card if you want to remain in the country and avoid being deported. You may want to change the status of your card or apply for one that will let you transition from a university student to a specialized worker. You may also want to apply for one that will let you pursue citizenship.

Your green card attorney can submit the paperwork on your behalf to change your green card status. You may avoid having to self-deport or wait for immigration authorities to find out you are living on an expired green card and deport you themselves.

A green card attorney can help you apply for the right kind of card to get into the country and live, work, or study in the United States legally. Your attorney can also help you renew your green card or change the status of it if you prefer. 

Contact a green card attorney near you to learn more.